From the beginning.....

Monday, April 23, 2012

151 Days Of Running

Lets start off with a list. I like lists. This is what I've done in 151 consecutive days running, approximately 499 miles.

Is the below bragging? I say...not unless you're impressed by it. I'm impressed, to a point. I know it's been a lot of work, but I have so much more do to.

People
  • A Runners Mind Running group
  • Beer week beer run group
  • Laurie
  • Joel
  • Lan
  • Todd
  • Eddie
  • Michelle
  • Nova
  • Tahzi (doggie!)

Places
  • Burlingame
  • San Mateo
  • Daly City
  • San Francisco
  • Eugene
  • Springfield
  • Fullerton
  • South Lake Tahoe
  • Portland
  • San Leandro

Equipment
  • Brooks Adrenaline stability
  • Brooks Pure Cadence minimalist
  • Asics shorts
  • Asics warming sleeves
  • Ninkasi wristbands
  • Nike dri-fit beanie
  • Headlamp
  • Red blinker
  • Nike gloves
  • Calve Compression Sleeves
  • Features medium thickness socks
  • Nike running shirt
  • Asics running shirt
  • Oregon Ducks basketball shorts
  • Sansa Clip - lots of tunes
  • Body Glide
  • Jelly Belly's
  • Gu
  • Gu Chomps
  • One hand water bottle
  • Dual water bottle belt

Conditions
  • Sun
  • Wind
  • Rain
  • Pouring rain
  • Snow
  • Slush
  • Mid-20's temperatures
  • Intense thunder and lightning

Obstacles
  • Slush inundated bike paths
  • Huge puddles
  • Busted up sidewalks
  • Furniture
  • Garbage cans
  • Low hanging trees
  • Overgrown brush
  • Trees fallen on the path
  • CARS
  • Pedestrians
  • Bicycles

Body
  • Knee pain
  • Strained ankle
  • Undefined but painful heel injury
  • Rib injury
  • Various leg muscle pains
  • Headaches
  • Dehydration dizziness
  • Stomach/side cramps

Mind
  • Too tired
  • Too sore
  • Can't breathe
  • Just don't want to
  • Too cold
  • Too wet
  • Not enough time
  • Distracted
  • Had too much to drink

Accomplishments
  • Lost 30+ lbs
  • Decreased minute per mile time from well over 10 minutes to under 7:30 minutes, most distances
  • No knee pain (from daily pain)
  • Minimal to no plantar fasciitis pain
  • Stopped taking ibuprofen for athletic activities (was nearly a daily intake)
  • Ran 1st 1/2 marathon
  • Improved 1/2 marathon time by more than 20 minutes (in 4 half marathons, every race has been a PR)
  • PR time in 10k by 10 minutes over a 10 year old mark
  • PR time in 5k (at 25 minutes that race, the next 5k will be a serious PR, expecting sub 19 minutes for a flat course)
  • Ran at least 2 miles on 151 consecutive days (during this time, also ran 10k, 15k and 1/2 marathon runs, PR or beat expectations)
  • Beat estimated run time for 1st 15k race by 5 minutes (7:36 minute average time with a 5 mile uphill)
  • Ran first 6 minute mile since high school

There's something to chew on for a bit. Next up, the why/what/who/when/where/how etc.

**Update** 
My first three 1/2 marathons were completed before the streak. I meant to show the improvement...doh!

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done dude! BTW, take a look into Newton shoes sometime. I've stopped getting blisters and foot strains after running in them for 4 years now. Oh and lightning does't have any e's in it :-)

    http://www.newtonrunning.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob! I've looked at Newtons, we had a rep demo the shoes at run group. They're a little more technical than I want to get at my current training level. I did learn great uphill technique from him though! I actually haven't had a blister yet and figured out the foot pain pretty quickly. Had to ease into the minimalist Cadence shoes rather than use them every day. I'm at 3/4 days a week in them now. If I nail my 1/2 marathon goal in or before the fall I may look Newtons way. Don't want to mess with my marathon training early 2013.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, listen to your feet and they'll take care of you. What caught my attention about Newtons was that they're designed for 'toe-strikers'.

      To my track coach in high school that wasn't a compliment for milers, but I seemed to keep beating the preferred 'heel-strikers', so he laid off changing my stride. Turns out natural running and the minimalist trend actually work better.

      Delete