From the beginning.....

Monday, June 4, 2012

New Feature - Gabriel's Jog Vlog!

First off, thanks for reading, it is much appreciated!

Next I'm going to caveat the hell out of this video (more like a slide show really). Much like my blog, it's the beginning of a learning process for me. I've never really taken video in this way, for a purpose. I had some ideas about how it would work when I first started, but am looking forward to learning more and making it good.

It was all done with my iPhone, filming, snapping photos, and even the editing. I used an app called Splice (free version), which provides some basic editing tools. You can add sound, which I haven't figured out how to do gracefully yet (added some, then deleted it), you can add text pages, change transitions from photo to photo, or to video, little things like that. I've got a few hours of editing into this short video, lesson learned. Even at a very basic level, editing video is not easy. I look forward to getting better: better equipment, better software, better skills, etc.

The idea behind a video blog for running is pretty simple. I want people to be able to experience what I do when I run, visually as well as emotionally, and if I can convey it, physically. Running is a complete experience, mind, body and soul, and it can change your life (it has mine). I look forward to having other people share their running experiences with me, maybe it's a guest vlog or blog, pictures from where they love to run, or as my sister has started, a running bucket list. Pretty awesome stuff all around.

Back to the video though. I'm posting it pretty much raw, I left a couple of photos out, but other than that it's all in there. In several shots, I was covering or partially covering the camera with my ring finger. For my normal phone use, I have an Android, which has the camera in a different place. I didn't catch the finger thing until close to the end. Also, the mic for the iPhone is on the bottom. This is also where I happened to be holding the phone from, so in a couple of the videos, the volume needs to be turned up. If I were more skilled, I would jack the volume up myself in the production room (haha) but I will leave that lesson for another day. I kinda just want to share my first piece of work.

So here it is, in all it's glory:




Hope you enjoy it and look forward to additional locations, features, and hopefully some inspiration!

Possible next vlog locations:

Lake Merced
South East end of a 4.5 mile loop.


Ocean Beach
I can get a great 6 miler here!


Lands End/Sutro Heights

Great elevation change, steps to run if you want to!


Eugene Oregon:
Not likely to have snow the next time I run here :)


Portland Oregon
This was the morning of the Shamrock Run 15k (1:10 benchmark time)

Burlingame
Hillsborough
Any suggestions??

No comments:

Post a Comment